We provide comprehensive representation in tax planning and tax controversy matters. Planning issues for income taxes include:
- choice of business entity,
- executive compensation,
- owner and stockholder agreements,
- stock option plans,
- stock redemptions and distributions,
- company reorganizations,
- tax-deferred exchanges, and
- state and local tax compliance.
In the estate and gift tax area, we provide revocable and irrevocable trust planning, planning for asset valuation discounts and freezes, and planning to fully utilize the generation skipping transfer tax credit.
Regarding controversy matters, we represent clients before all levels of the Internal Revenue Service, including the Examination, Collection, and Criminal Investigation, and National Office rulings divisions.
We prosecute tax litigation matters before the United States Tax Court, federal district trial courts, federal appeals courts, state courts, and state and local taxation agencies.
Specific controversy areas include income taxes, estate and gift taxes, employment taxes, sales and use taxes, and taxes on business receipts (Virginia BPOL).
We work closely with your accounting, insurance, and financial advisors to provide you with a comprehensive solution to plan and manage your business.
We also provide comprehensive legal services to non-profit entities, including representation to file Forms 1023 and 1024, Applications for Recognition of Exemption, to obtain IRS approval of exempt status for charitable and social welfare organizations.
To learn more about this practice area, contact John E. Ritzert Jr.
- Virginia’s Judicial System
- Virginia State Corporation Commission
- Virginia Department of Taxation
- Fairfax County Business License Information
- D.C. Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs
- Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation
- The Internal Revenue Service